The Yellow Brick House is built of yellow brick, hence our name, and features distinctive architecture from the 1920’s.
The original residence was built by Dr. & Mrs. Thomas W. Stewart as their private home and place of business. A physician in the Lithonia area for over forty years, Dr. Stewart’s office was in the basement of the home and there are many colorful and heartwarming stories from that era. Dr. Stewart was the last “horse & buggy” doctor in DeKalb County and the goodwill he created still exists today.
The private residence was converted to an assisted living facility in 1988 with the addition of 22,000 square feet of living space. Included in the renovation were thirty resident’s apartments, three activity rooms, a dining room, lobby, porches, beauty salon, industrial kitchen, and laundry. Every effort was made to maintain the flavor of the past while adding the conveniences of the present.
In 2003, a secure wing was created from the original floorplan to provide Alzheimer’s Care.
The Stewart family still owns and personally manages the Yellow Brick House with the help of our excellent staff.
Contact us for more information or to schedule a tour.